Our home is probably the biggest purchase we will ever make and it is important for home owners to protect that investment with careful home maintenance.
Over the summer is the perfect time to check our home for needed maintenance and repairs.
Consider these areas of your home:
- Siding: Siding is not just cosmetic! Quality, well maintained siding protects the underlying structure of your home, so it is essential to have siding repaired as soon as the need arises. Insulated siding also closes off air flow and increases your home’s energy efficiency.
- Heating, Ventilating and Cooling Systems: It is considered a good practise to have a HVAC professional examine your systems yearly to ensure that they are running at optimal levels. Also, bear in mind that an air conditioning unit that is ten or fifteen years old is probably costing you more than it would to replace it. Investing in a new unit will help you reduce your energy costs.
- Roof: Your roof takes a lot of wear and tear each year from the passing seasons, so have your roof inspected when it is warm and have any repairs carried out before the weather turns cold once more. Replace damaged or missing shingles, flashing or any other areas of damage. Clear your gutters of debris to ensure that you don’t have flooding issues.
- Windows: Energy efficient windows make a huge difference in heating and cooling costs. Select double or triple panes windows that have argon or a similar gas between the panes. Check for a warranty and references before choosing a window installer.
- Draughts: Windows are not the only way that draughts can get into a home. Check that doors are correctly hung and that insulation is sufficient. Replace insulation, repair cracks in the mortar or brickwork and foundations. Cracks allow not only air leaks, but water and insects to gain access to your home. Draughts also reduce indoor air quality and can cause difficulties for children, elderly and sufferers of allergies or asthma.
Take advantage of the warm weather and longer daylight hours of summer to give your home a health check and bring it back up to standard, protecting your investment, health and lifestyle.